Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

F.H.E.

Geocashing:

We don’t really do Family Home Evening at our house.  I guess I’ve just felt that the kids are so little and we spend so much time together as a family anyway what is the point.  It’s like we have ‘family home evening’ every day.  Well, we had a recent Relief Society activity ALL about F.H.E. and it got me pumped to start planning F.H.E more regularly.  Since Rob is at school on Monday nights till about 10:30pm I’ve decided we will have it on Tuesday evenings instead.  The first night I decided we would take the kids geocaching.  I downloaded a free app on my phone for it and found a cache less than a mile away from the house.  James LOVED it.  I told him we were going on a treasure hunt.  He thought it was so cool.  After we found the cache and came back home we related the map on my phone that helped us find the geocache to the Liahona from the book of mormon.  It’s was a really fun activity.  I think it would work great for all ages of children as well. 

Independence Day:

This week I decided our lesson would be center around the 4th of July since it was coming right up.  We talked about why we celebrated the 4th of July.  What it means to be Independent.  A little about the history(not too much detail since my kids are only 4 and 1).  Then we talked about Captain Moroni and the title of liberty.  Then we made 4th of July T-shirts.  Both the kids really loved this part.

photo (3) photo (4)

I bought plain T-shirts from Michaels crafts store, painted their hands with craft paint and stamped them on the shirts.  Then I took fabric puff paint to add their names, date and embellishments.  Katelyn’s shirt is way too big for her(they didn’t have her size).  James is a little big but he loves it and he wore it like 3 days in a row. 

For now on I’m going to try and be more consistent with Family Home Evening and post what we do on my blog.  Maybe I can give you some fun ideas.  Sorry, I don’t have any treat ideas yet.  I wasn’t that ambitious.  But if you have fun F.H.E treat recipes send the my way.